I look forward to my Real Simple magazine each month – it’s full of good tips on everything from decorating to cooking to fashion. In the February issue I was thrilled to see 10 healthy, different smoothie recipes. Smoothies are such an easy way to get lots of nutrition quickly, so I’ve been trying out the Real Simple recipes one by one. And of course, I’m always tweaking the recipes, too.
The Strawberry- Flax Smoothie was so easy that I wanted to share – the only change I made was I added half of a very ripe banana for more nutritional goodness and nixed the honey (though I love honey) so it wouldn’t be too sweet with the added banana. It turned out to be an excellent consistency and delicious too. Try it and enjoy!
Serves 1| Hands-On Time: 05m | Total Time: 05m
* 1 cup frozen strawberries
* 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
* 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
* 1 tablespoon honey (I used half of a ripe banana instead)
* 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1. Place the strawberries, yogurt, orange juice, honey, and flaxseed meal in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth and frothy.
By Sarah Copeland, February 2011